If the month of August was a game, the score would be — Sudara: 0; Zucchini: 100. It happens every year. And, it’s about this time every August that we find ourselves searching — somewhat frantically — through the well-worn and spattered cards in our recipe box for this Zucchini Bread.
Sometimes we adapt this recipe and add toasted pecans; lately we’ve added dark-chocolate chunks and felt justified in having it for breakfast. Because, you know, zucchini is healthy. And, chocolate pairs perfectly with that first, second, and even third cup of coffee.
One trick that we learned from Cook’s Illustrated and have used in this recipe ever since: Squeeze the shredded zucchini between several layers of paper towels to remove as much moisture as possible. Their research (no, really…!) shows it helps the batter cook all the way through and gives the bread a better texture.
1 lb. zucchini, shredded
1 1/2 Cups sugar
6 Tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 Cup sour cream
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
2 Cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon (we sometimes add more because we love it)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 – 3/4 Cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare a 9×5″ loaf pan.
- Whisk together the shredded zucchini, sugar, butter, eggs, sour cream, and lemon juice in a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour through chocolate chips).
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center has just a few crumbs attached.
If you’re looking for other ways to use that overflow of zucchini in your life, here are a couple of our favorites:
Zucchini Parmesan Crisps via Smitten Kitchen
Whole Wheat Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins via How Sweet Eats
Zucchini Lasagna via Oh, Sweet Basil
Zucchini Crisp via I Am Baker (it tastes just like Apple Crisp! Your secret is safe with us!)