This summer, our Sudara Travel series is focused on the cities that our small (but mighty!) team calls home. If you’re looking for travel recommendations or a new city to explore in your favorite loungewear, these are a few of our favorite things to do, see, eat and sip across the U.S. and India. This week, we’re talking with our social media lead, Erika, about her current home — Lexington, Kentucky.
Five(ish) words to describe Lexington, Kentucky:
- Horse Farms
- Big Blue Nation
Favorite place(s) for coffee:
- Daily Offerings – Great coffee, gluten-free baked goods and a dog-friendly, welcoming atmosphere.
- A Cup of Commonwealth – Small space, but great coffee and friendly baristas
- Broomwagon Bikes and Coffee – A bike shop with a cafe. Coffee is from a local roaster (Magic Beans); Bumble Buzz (honey bourbon espresso) is a personal favorite.
Favorite place(s) for breakfast/brunch:
- Doodles – Dirty Shrimp ’n Grits, Huevos Rancheros or warm beignets are all excellent options here
- North Lime Coffee and Donuts – They offer your standard glazed and cinnamon-sugar, but the speciality donut flavors (e.g., Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout, Bluth’s Un-frozen Banana, Bourbon Salted Caramel Sutra) are my personal favorite; the selection changes daily.
Favorite place(s) for lunch:
- Sahara Mediterranean – Everything on the menu is good.
- Bourbon n’ Toulouse – It’s hard to pick a favorite from their menu, but chicken étouffée, Black Beans and Caramelized Corn, and Chicken Sauce Piquant are personal favorites. They rarely have Tami’s Thai Peanut Sauce on the menu, but if they are serving it that day, it’s a must have.
Favorite place for a casual lunch:
- Windy Corner Market: I had the Bourbon Ball Sundae last time I was here and highly recommend it. They are known for their Po-Boy sandwiches, though, and come highly recommended by close friends.
Favorite place(s) for lunch/dinner with a view:
- Wallace Station: A little outside of Lexington, but the drive on Old Frankfort Pike through horse country is absolutely beautiful. If the weather is nice, definitely sit on the back deck or at one of the picnic tables in the yard.
Favorite place for dessert:
Favorite place(s) for drinks:
- Kentucky Native Cafe
- West Sixth Brewery
- The Village Idiot
- Country Boy Brewing
Favorite place for a good workout:
Raven Run Nature Sanctuary, the Arboretum or the Legacy Trail. Lexington also has a thriving running and cycling community. If you’re looking for a weekly organized event, check out Bluegrass Cycling Club , John’s Run/Walk shop or West Sixth (running, cycling and yoga).
Favorite things to do/must visit places:
- Bourbon Distillery Tours – not all are close to Lexington, but they’re always worth the drive
- Keeneland Race Track
- Kentucky Horse Park
- WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour – a charming little live show that is broadcast worldwide
- Horse Farm Tours – Ashford Stud is the current home of American Pharoah
- Eduardo Kobra’s Lincoln Mural